We're sure there's no need to tell you what an Instagram story is. If you use Insgtagram for business, stories serve as a powerful business driving tool for your brand.
Many users, however, typically stick with the default background selected by Instagram, which is determined by the colors in your image, as the methods for changing it might not be immediately apparent.
While the default gradient color often suffices for your Instagram story background, there are instances where a touch of creative freedom might do good.
In this tutorial, we'll outline several methods for changing the background color of your story, so open the story you want to alter, and let's go.
How to Change the Background Color on Your Instagram Story: 4 Tips
First of all, if you're having trouble locating the icons or functions mentioned here, update the Instagram app on your smartphone.
Now let's delve into each of the four tips that'll help you change how your story looks.
#1. Change Instagram Story Background to a Solid Color
To modify your background to a solid color, follow these steps:
- Upload a photo from your camera roll to the Instagram app's stories feature, or repost it on your story.
- Tap the three dots (...) located in the top right corner, and choose "draw."
- Select the pen option.
- Pick your desired color using the color dropper tool or opt for one of the default color choices.
- Press and hold the pen or eraser tool.
- Long-press the center of your background.
- If you uploaded a photo, you can utilize the eraser icon to reveal the image underneath the background color.
💡Pro Tip: This method is also ideal for crafting Instagram highlight covers. Simply upload the image you prefer (typically an icon representing your theme, like an airplane for travel), and adjust the background color to match your brand's color scheme.
#2. Add an Image Over Your New Background
You can also overlay a photo onto your freshly set background. Here's how to do this:
- Open the photo gallery on your smartphone.
- Choose the image you wish to include.
- Tap the 'Copy Photo' option from the menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Return to the Instagram app (your Story-in-progress should still be open).
- Click on the 'Add Sticker' pop-up of the copied photo, situated in the bottom left corner.
💡Pro Tip: Share your Instagram stories to be automatically published right on time with Combin Scheduler! This is a free Instagram content planner that can publish your posts and stories even when you're offline and unreachable. Choose the day and time, and your content will appear on your Instagram page down to the minute.
#3. Add a Color Tint to Change Background on Instagram Story
To apply a color tint to your Instagram story, follow these steps:
- Upload or capture a photo within the stories feature.
- Tap the '...' button located in the top right corner and choose 'draw.'
- Select the Pen icon.
- Pick your desired color tint from the available options, either by using the color dropper tool or selecting from the provided choices.
- Tap the highlighter icon.
- Long-press on your background (this step may vary depending on your app version).
- Tap or long-press a second time to intensify the color tint.
- Tap or long-press a third time to create a solid color effect.
#4. Change Instagram Story Background to a Color Gradient
Here are the steps for changing your Instagram story background to a gradient:
- Open Instagram stories and capture a photo.
- Access more editing options by tapping "Aa."
- Choose the circle icon with filters at the top of the screen and select the desired color gradient.
- Add text and stickers into your Instagram story, and then publish your story.
How to Change a Background Color on Instagram Story If You Share a Feed Post
Did you know you can share a regular feed post on your Instagram story? It's a great way to boost engagement on your feed posts. By sharing your feed post in stories, you increase the chances of seeing it. You can even add a teaser to pique their interest.
Here's how to share a feed post to your story:
- Find the post you want to share, whether it's on your feed or someone else's, and tap the paper airplane icon.
- Select "Add to your story."
Once you've shared the feed post to your story, it's time to change the background color, much like you do for your regular Instagram story:
3. Tap the three dots in the upper right corner and choose "Draw."
4. Pick the color you want (you can tap and hold on any of the colors at the bottom for different shades or use the dropper to select a color from the post).
5. Long-press the Instagram Story's background to change the background color.
After setting the background color as you prefer, you can further customize your story. Add stickers or a call to action like "tap here." Write some text that entices people to read your caption.
How to Add a Faded Background Color on Top of Instagram Story Image
For our final tutorial, we'll show you how to apply a faded or transparent-looking background color over your image, which can introduce intriguing and distinctive effects to your Instagram stories.
- Add a photo to your story. To do this, click the "Add Story" button in the top left or the plus sign in the top right, and select "story." Then, pick the image you want from your camera roll.
- Tap the three dots in the upper right corner and choose "Draw."
This time, focus on the top middle of your screen and select the icon resembling a highlighter.
3. Pick the color you want to overlay on your image, just as you've done with backgrounds previously.
4. Tap and hold in the middle of your screen. It will be covered with the chosen color, but you can still see the image beneath it.
5. To add extra effects, opt for the eraser icon found at the far right of the top middle set of options.
6. Adjust the eraser's size on the left side of your screen.
Now, you can create designs in the transparent color over the image! Regardless of the color you choose or the way you design with the eraser, this method can produce a visually appealing story.