- The Instagram Reels feature generates 67% more engagement than standard Instagram videos.
- 9 out of every 10 Instagram users watch videos each week.
- The most viewed Instagram Reel has 289 million views 👇
- After the release of Reels, Instagram’s usage in Brazil grew by 4.3%.
- Instagram Reels are the fastest growing Instagram feature all over the world.
Given that, you need to know how Reels algorithm works to get the most out of your content. On Instagram, just like on other social media platforms, it doesn’t matter how creative, deep or genius your video is. It won’t get discovered by many people if you miss the algorithm.
💡Suggested read: How to Gain More Views of Instagram Reels
But before that, let’s briefly touch on how Instagram algorithm works in 2022.
What Is the Instagram Algorithm in 2022?
Instagram isn’t a single concept; there are now multiple algorithms focused on different things.
Instagram itself says that algorithm is:
A variety of algorithms, classifiers, and processes, each with its own purpose. We want to make the most of your time, and we believe that using technology to personalize your experience is the best way to do that.
Basically, Instagram algorithms take into account your previous interactions with content, and these are not just likes and comments, but also shares, views, and saves. Who with, how long, and how you engage with content are considered by algorithms.
Instagram constantly changes its algorithms to ensure the best user and content consumption experience. Regardless of the country you’re from, here are the major novelties Instagram released this year so far:
- New chronological feed with the Following and Favourite feed views. We have covered how it works, so make sure you read it if you’re interested.
2. More content suggestions in the Home feed with Reels.
3. Prioritisation of content that hasn't been published anywhere else yet. Meaning that you should post Reels that have not been uploaded on TikTok already.
4. New content categorisation algorithm: Instagram is learning to detect if a content piece is an image or a video based on content, keywords, and alt texts.
In the main feed, Instagram looks at the information about the post author, not just your interactions.
Instagram Reels Algorithm: How It Works in 2022
As we already know, the Instagram algorithm isn’t a single concept – there are multiple algorithms. And Reels has its own algorithm that is similar to its closest competitor – TikTok.
Both TikTok and Reels detect your interests and show you similar content. They analyse audiences identical to yourself and recommend the videos they suggest to users with alike behaviour.
Brands and creators should make Reels that are entertaining, inspiring, or experimental and use creative tools like text, camera effects, or filters.
Reels of low quality, those published on other platforms and blurry ones are deprioritised by Instagram. Besides, you shouldn't post Reels with too much text and those that violate Instagram's Community Guidelines.
Here what else Instagram says about its Reels algorithm:
- Your activity – We look at things like which reels you’ve liked, commented on, and engaged with recently. These signals help us to understand what content might be relevant to you.
- Your history of interacting with the person who posted – Like in Explore, it’s likely the video was made by someone you’ve never heard of, but if you have interacted with them that gives us a sense of how interested you might be in what they shared.
- Information about the Reel – These are signals about the content within the video such as the audio track, video understanding based on pixels and whole frames, as well as popularity.
- Information about the person who posted – We consider popularity to help find compelling content from a wide array of people and give everyone a chance to find their audience.
How to Hack the Instagram Reels Algorithm in 2022
You know how the algorithm works but how to outfox it? Use these tips to make your Reels rank and perform better.
According to Instagram, brands and creators should share vertical (9:16) Reels that, in addition, are:
- Entertaining and fun;
- Containing captions, filters, effects, and trending music from the Instagram music library or originally created by the author of the Reel.
Next time you make a Reel, keep these tips in mind to get the most out of Instagram Reels, get discovered by new audiences, increase your followership and grow your reach on Instagram.