Instagram is no longer a simple photo-sharing app. In fact, it now caters to short video content rather than regular feed posts. Which isn’t surprising owing to the TikTok success.
Instagram introduced Reels back in summer 2020, and since its inception, Reels has become one of the most popular Instagram features. Millions of creators, brands, and regular users share Reels daily, and 9 out of every 10 Instagram users watch Reels each week. So, if you’re looking for a way to download some, you’ve come to the right place.
In this piece, we’ll reveal the best and easiest ways to download Instagram Reels on your device. But let's start with a brief intro to Instagram Reels.
What Are Instagram Reels?
Or rather, how are they different from other Instagram video content? Apart from Reels, Instagram lets you share video content in stories and Instagram Live. There used to be IGTV, but Instagram shut down this format in October 2021.
Here are the key points that distinguish Reels from other engaging video content forms shared on Instagram:
- Instagram Reels enables users to create videos with a duration of up to 90 seconds. These videos are designed to be short and engaging, catering to users' shrinking attention spans and increasing interest in consuming quick, entertaining content.
- Reels offers a range of creative tools to enhance videos, including audio, special effects, text, stickers, and AR filters.
💡We've covered advanced Reels hacks and hidden features in one of our previous articles: Take Your Reels to the Next Level
- Reels appear in the Reels tab on users' profiles, can be shared to the main feed, and may also show up in the Explore tab, which helps users discover content from accounts they might not be even following.
- Users can choose from a vast library of songs and audio clips provided by Instagram or use their original audio in Reels.
Instagram Reels vs. Instagram Stories
Some users, especially those new to the platform, sometimes can't distinguish between the two, so here are brief points that make Reels and stories so different.
- While both Instagram stories and Reels offer short-form video content, Reels are designed to be more discoverable and shareable, appearing on the Reels tab and the Explore page, while stories are primarily meant for sharing with followers and disappear after 24 hours.
💡Tip: If you're looking for a tool to plan Instagram stories to be published in advance, even at the hour you're not online, try Combin Scheduler, a free Instagram content planner. Schedule Instagram posts and stories down to the minute!
2. You can share their Reels not only on Instagram but also on Instagram stories and even on their Instagram's parent company, Facebook.
3. You can download Reels with the help of stories. But we'll touch on that below.
Can You Download Instagram Reels?
Yes! You can download Reels uploaded by other people as well as save your own Instagram Reels.
If you want to download Reels from someone else's Instagram account, you may need to use a workaround as Instagram currently allows only the U.S. users to natively download short videos. How? Read below.
How to Download Instagram Reels
Download Instagram Reels Right on Instagram (Available in the U.S. Only)
Adam Mosseri, the Instagram head, said on his Instagram broadcast channel that U.S.-based users will be able to download Reels to their camera roll.
To download a Reel right on Instagram, tap on the share icon and select the Download option. The video will be then saved to your camera roll.
💡 Note that Reels from only public accounts are eligible for download, and public accounts can turn off the ability to download Reels.
How to Download Instagram Reels on Desktop
If you're not from the U.S., and the native Instagram Reels download isn't yet accessible to you, use third-party tools, such as 4K Stogram.
This desktop Instagram content downloader and viewer lets you back up all your Reels at once and download Instagram Reels from somebody else’s public account.
These easy steps below will allow you to save Instagram Reels to your computer:
1. Launch 4K Stogram. It's safe and free to download and install the app.
2. Log in to your Instagram account within the application.
3. Enter the name of the Instagram account you want to download Reels from.
Note that only those Reels that have been uploaded to the feed of the account can be downloaded with 4K Stogram.
4. Select a suitable option from the suggestions list.
5. Click the settings button located next to the Download button.
6. Uncheck all boxes except Feed posts -> Content format -> Only Video.
Tip: In the settings, you can also set a specific time period you want to download Instagram Reels from. Click the date field and select the period on the in-app calendar.
7. Click the Download button.
8. Enjoy the downloaded Reels!
Alternatively, you can bookmark a Reel on Instagram and then download your Saved posts with 4K Stogram.
How to Download Instagram Reels on iPhone & Android
There are two ways to download a Reel from Instagram on Android or iPhone: screen recording and third-party tools.
🟣 Record an iPhone or Android Screen
The most obvious way to save a Reel from your feed is to record the screen with your smartphone.
On iPhone: To start recording your screen, make sure the feature is accessible from your control screen: open Settings -> Control Centre -> add Screen Recording to Included Controls.
Then follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Find the Reel you like and play it.
- From there, swipe down the top of your screen to access the control screen.
- Click the record button there and capture the Reel. Audio will also be recorded.
- When the Reel ends, press on the record button again, and the video will automatically be saved to your camera roll, which you can watch, share or edit as you like.
On Android. Follow these steps to record a Reel from your phone screen:
- Swipe down from the top of your screen.
- Find the screen recording button.
- Navigate to the Reel you want to save.
- When the video is captured, go to the Photos app, hit Library, go to Movies, and find your video there.
🟣 Download Instagram Reels with Third-Party Apps
All these tools work in a similar manner: You just need to copy the link to the Instagram Reel, paste it into the app, and hit the Download button.
How to Download My Own Instagram Reels to Gallery
Yes, Instagram lets you natively download your own Reels, regardless of your country of residence.
Here’s how to download the Reels you’ve posted on your Instagram page:
- Open Instagram.
- Go to your account and head over to the Reels tab.
- Find your Reel you want to download and play it in full-screen mode.
- Press the three dots in the bottom right corner of your screen and choose Save to Camera Roll.
The video will be saved to your gallery.
Bonus: How to Download Instagram Reels via Stories
The last way to save Instagram Reels you’ve surely never considered is to download Reels via stories. This way also allows you to save videos right to your camera roll.
However, note that this method doesn't always work, so try if it works for you.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Instagram Reel you want to save and tap the Send icon.
- Click on Add Reel to your story.
- Pinch and zoom the preview if you want to save the video in the full-screen mode.
- Hit the three dots in the upper right corner and select Save.
Download Instagram Reels: Frequently Asked Questions
I downloaded a Reel, but it has no sound. Why is that?
If the Reel you’ve saved has no sound, it can be a simple glitch. Check if the Reel actually has sound. If the glitch continues, you try dowloading the Reel with 4K Stogram.
Can I download the Reels I've saved to draft?
Absolutely! Just go to your account and click on the Reel icon above the photo grid. Then find your drafts there. Tap on the draft -> select Edit -> find the Save button at the top and click on it. That's it!